June 25, 2026. Wisdom from Jerry

 I had a rotten morning.  Not even that third cup of coffee could pull me out of my funk.  As usual, it was one of those days when I spent most of my time wondering what in the world was wrong with me.  And, as usual, I got no answer...or perhaps a list too long to tackle.  Also, the shop is way too full for someone who professes to be retired.  Nothing was hitting me right.

My house was clean enough to be healthy, my desk was clear, laundry wasn't even a consideration, and even baking didn't have appeal.  There wasn't even a reason to shop when there was nothing I wanted or needed.  After a long day up and down a ladder, painting yesterday, the four remaining windows can wait

So, finally dressed, and facing a front yard of downed leaves from Randy and his right-hand man trimming the crab tree,  I decided to mow. Ah, my favorite therapy.   Despite the fact that it wasn't really necessary, other than the obvious cleanup, I had to do something.

Mowing affords me music time and uninterrupted thinking.  Of course, mowing always brings back memories of my dad.  He loved to mow, and was the groundskeeper with the school system for several years.  One of his favorite comments regarding mowing during a dry spell was "There is long brown and there is short brown.  I like short brown".  Well, I subscribe to the same sentiment, and with a few patches that qualify now showing up, it applied today.

Now, back to the coffee... 

I began drinking coffee as a teen.  One morning, Dad came for a refill to find me adding sugar and milk to my cup.  He leveled a look at me, proclaiming "If you can't drink it black, you shouldn't be drinking it".   I still drink it black.  Imagine what he'd think of all the fancy choices available today!  He'd likely refer to them as "designer coffee".  He didn't like flavored brew either.

A couple of hours later, following the mower, trimmer, and blower, and a trip down memory lane, my mood has significantly improved.

Rats. What to have for supper...?! ☘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 1, 2025. Short and (Not So) Sweet

January 29, 2026 A Year of Lasts

May 23, 2026 Heartbreak