July 13, 2026 Revelations

I had to take a step back from writing.  Not out of pique, rather a distinct lack of inspiration and motivation.  The world got too heavy for me, I think.  At any rate, here we go...

We are settling back into a routine following several days of celebrating and fun.  There were a couple of things that really resonated with me. 

July 10 marked 50 years of marriage for us.  I was a mere 20 years old, ready to take on the world, thinking I knew what to expect.  Randy was working for John Deere,  I was finishing my last 2 years of college commuting to Storm Lake 3-5 days/week, and we were lucky to have $20.00 at the end of the month.  Generic beer was 99 cents a six-pack and all of our friends were pretty much in the same boat.  So, Saturday nights were at one of our homes, playing cards. The good old days!

I never gave a thought to being married this long, at the time.  And now, it's a rather daunting experience, especially when I look around at friends and family that won't get to feel this way.  It isn't just divorce that keeps many from this milestone.  It's that unthinkably cruel fate that life springs upon so many, separating high school sweethearts, true loves, and soulmates.  I will never, ever take what we have for granted.  It's a privilege.

The other I want to share is how amazed I was at how I felt, seeing my baby brother become a grandpa.  Now, he was a wonderful dad, so it's no surprise he's taken so easily to having a grandson.  It's so emotional for me to witness him cradling that babe and feeling the love emanating from him.  Gah, I'm tearing up just thinking about it!  And yes, I got some quality snuggle time in, as well.

We got quality sibling time in at our nephew's wedding; my sister and I got our annual picture together,  those present laughed until our sides hurt, and the teasing was reminiscent of those days growing up together. Precious moments, for certain.

Now, we are back for a while, I hope.  June disappeared quickly as we logging in so many miles, more memories, and time without interruption from the phone.

The rest of our siding will be going on tomorrow, as the shop project will soon be coming to a close.  Still, some painting needs to happen, but we may have to wait for a break in the heat.

Stay cool. ☘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 1, 2025. Short and (Not So) Sweet

January 29, 2026 A Year of Lasts

May 23, 2026 Heartbreak