August 2, 2026 Good Genes

 I've turned into my Great Aunt Mildred.  Before I explain why, let me tell you a little about her.

Aunt Mildred was my Grandma Laura Laughlin's sister. She was a tiny spark plug of a woman, always saying she was as wide as she was tall.  As a mother and an aunt, she was a force to be reckoned with.  Tales of her from my mom and her cousin, Ruth, detailed how strict and hard to please she was.  But, when it came to their kids, well, we could do no wrong. 

When we'd visit and ask now she was, she'd reply with "I'm just fine...from here up", with her hand under her chin.  She had a lift chair to aid in helping her up, as her mobility decreased with age. Her mind, however, remained razor sharp.

She could tell anyone who'd listen every one of our birthdays, godparents, and never confused our names.  With nine of us, that's really something!  She lived in her home in Laurens into her 90's, with Meals on Wheels, a house cleaner, and many of us who checked in on her regularly.  In fact, she was only in outside care for 2 months when she became ill and subsequently passed away at, I believe, 94.  She always had a can of homemade cookies in her freezer.

Aunt Mildred was a rabid E'Hawk/Iowa Hawkeye fan. She had every football game on the radio when my brothers all played, and the Hawkeyes on her TV.  Here is where I have become very much like her...to a point.

If anyone had the temerity to call her while one of her games was on, she would unceremoniously answer with "THE E'HAWKS (or Hawkeyes) ARE PLAYING" and slam the receiver down. God help the kind soul who may have only been checking in on her.

I also have no patience for being interrupted during games.  The difference is, I can't slam a receive down.  Right now, I'm seething as our internet has gone down at the half of the Fever/Lynx game.  

Sending special love up to Aunt Mildred today. ☘

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 1, 2025. Short and (Not So) Sweet

January 29, 2026 A Year of Lasts

May 23, 2026 Heartbreak